- Cart is empty
Marmalade Brioche Baked Custard
- 360g brioche, sliced
- Butter, softened, for spreading
- 1 cup (340g) orange marmalade
- 1L (4 cups) single (pouring) cream
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped or 2tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs and 6 egg yolks, extra
- 1 cup (220G) caster (superfine) sugar
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Spread the brioche with butter and marmalade and arrange, upright, in a 12-cup capacity (3 litre) ovenproof dish. Place the cream, milk and vanilla in a saucepan over high heat until the mixture just comes to the boil. Set aside.
Place the eggs, extra yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Gradually add the hot cream mixture to the egg mixture, whisking well to combine. Strain custard over the brioche and sprinkle with Demerara sugar. Place dish into a water bath*.
Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes – I hour 10 minutes or until just set. Remove from water bath and allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.
* To make a water bath, place the custard dish into a deep-sided baking dish and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the custard dish.